Steuben County, IN freeform logo

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. Are all Probation Appointments for juveniles held at the probation department?
A. No, some appointments are conducted at the juveniles' school.

Q. Are parents required to attend probation appointments with their child?
A. Parents are only required to attend the preliminary inquiry.  Parents are encouraged to attend all future appointments; however, it is not required.

Q. Can I contact my probation officer after hours?
A. No, the on-call officer is utilized to assist law enforcement.

Q. Can I go anywhere I want for counseling services?
A. No, the Court has approved specific counseling programs to assure that probationers receive quality therapy.  Probationers can choose their counseling provider from the approved programs.

Q. Can I go to AA or NA instead of substance abuse counseling?
A. No, AA and NA are strong support systems and probationers are encouraged to attend, but they do not take the place of Court ordered substance abuse counseling.

Q. Can I leave the state of Indiana while on probation?
A. No, a probationer can only leave the state with the specific permission of the Court.  A request form for each Court may be downloaded from this site or picked up at the Steuben County Probation Department.

Q. Can probation be transferred to another county or state?
A. Yes, you must contact your probation officer to complete any required paperwork and to see if you qualify.  There is a $75.00 fee to transfer probation to another county, payable to the county you transfer to, and a $125.00 fee to transfer out of state, payable to the state you transfer from.

Q. Does juvenile probation expire when you turn eighteen?
A. No, your probation may continue until you are twenty-one.

Q. If I am on an administrative level of supervision, sometimes called "informal probation," when do I have to report?
A. You are required to report in person only if requested by your probation officer.  You must report any changes in your status as outlined by your probation order.

Q. May someone other than the child's legal guardian bring them for the preliminary inquiry?
A. No.

Q. What are the office hours for the probation department?
A. The probation department is open Monday to Friday from 8:00am to 4:30pm.  We are closed on Saturday, Sunday, and holidays.

Q. When are probation fees, court costs, fines, and restitutions due to be paid?
A. All fees are due within the first six months of your probation time frame, unless ordered differently by the Court.

Q. Where can I get information about community service?
A. The community service program is coordinated by Northeast Indiana Community Corrections.  Please contact them for further information at (260) 668-1000, ext 5350.

Q. Where can I get information about home detention?
A. The home detention program is coordinated by Northeast Indiana Community Corrections.  Please contact them for further information at (260) 668-1000, ext 5350.

Q. Where do I pay my probation fees, court costs, fines, and restitution?
A. All fees are paid to the Steuben County Clerk: 55 S. Public Square Angola, IN 46703.  All fees may be paid by cash, money order, and credit card.  Restitution for Check Deception is paid to the Steuben County Prosecutor's Office: 205 S. Martha Suite 107 Angola, IN 46703.
Code Red