Weights and Measures
The Weights and Measures office, under direction, performs highly specialized work of a technical nature:
- Inspects, investigates and tests commercially used weighing and measuring devices.
- Evaluates prepackaged commodities for label and quantity compliance.
- Certifies or condemns weighing and measuring devices following comprehensive procedures.
- Exercises authority to stop sale of products and use of weighing and measuring devices.
- Conducts mandatory and special investigations regarding weighing and measuring devices.
- Checks scanning devices to ensure products are accurately priced.
- Assists in maintaining the accuracy and physical security of state standards and associated measuring instruments.
- Affixes decals to correct devices and rejection or condemnation tags to incorrect devices.
- Testifies in administrative hearings and court of law to the results of inspections and investigations.