Steuben County, IN freeform logo

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. How close can we build to a ditch?
A. No permanent structures are to be built within 75 feet of any county regulated drain or tile without a variance.

Q. If I do not have a ditch running through my property, why am I paying a ditch tax?
A. All storm water run-off eventually goes into a body of water, e.g. lakes, an underground tile, or an open ditch, all of which require periodic maintenance. Your ditch tax dollars go to Maintenance Units to pay for repairs, ditch bank spraying, snagging, cleaning, etc.

Q. If I need my property surveyed, who do I call?
A. You call a Registered Land Surveyor, listed in the yellow pages under Surveyor. We do not do land surveying, only drainage.

Q. If I want a copy of my survey, where do I get one?
A. If the survey was recorded they will have a copy in the Recorder's Office. If not, you will need to know the Survey Company that last surveyed your property and contact them.

Q. If I want to make an appointment with the Drainage Board, what do I need to do?
A. Call our office, (219)668-1000 Ext 1800, and ask to be put on the agenda for the next Drainage Board meeting. Please give a brief summary of the reason for the appointment so the Board will be prepared to address your needs.

Q. Where are you located in the Steuben County Community Center?
A. We are located on the 3rd floor, south end of the hall, Suite 3K.
Code Red Trine_TrineOnline_Logo